Salary: $70,446 – $149,362
Status: Full Time
*WORK HOURS INCLUDE REMAINING ON-CALL 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK AND WORKING EXTENDED HOURS INCLUDING EVENINGS, WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS AND OCCASIONAL OVERNIGHT TRAVEL AS NEEDED.
The Human Resources Office is currently accepting internal/external applications for the position of Assistant Superintendent
- A Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Corrections Behavioral or Social Sciences. Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Five years of related work experience, of which at least three years must have been in an administrative or senior management capacity in a corrections setting.
- Attainment and maintenance of status as a Certified Jail Manager from the American Jail Association. (Preferred).
- Must be the rank of Captain or above to apply.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements established by the Virginia Jail Standards.
- Satisfactory completion of all requirements established by the Riverside Regional Jail.
- Understanding of the full range of correctional facility operations. Experience with the Virginia Jail Standards, the American Correctional Association accreditation process and the Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- Additional work experience at a senior management capacity in a corrections setting may be substituted for up to four years of the educational requirement on the basis of two years of qualifying experience per year of education.
- Successful completion of a criminal records check.
II. Basic Skills and Abilities Required:
Extensive knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws; principals, concepts, trends, and practice in the field of correctional management and administration; and supervision/care of inmates. Comprehensive knowledge in planning/evaluating major programs and services; in providing the necessary coordination among divisions and units; and of standards by which the quality of services are evaluated. Ability to analyze difficult problems/situations and take an effective course of action; to handle crisis situations requiring tact, diplomacy, understanding, fairness, and good judgment; ability to deal firmly and courteously with staff, inmates, and public. Ability to direct, supervise, counsel and discipline subordinates in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures and Personnel Policies; and to analyze complex and diverse data. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
III. Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Superintendent or designee, the incumbent is responsible for directing and supervising staff, subordinate Officers and civilian personnel assigned. The incumbent has wide latitude of independent judgment in making decisions subject to the general orders of the Jail and all applicable laws.
Internal applicants must prepare an internal applications that must be signed by all Supervisors and received by Human Resources 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 19, 2018.
External applicants must prepare an application on-line through the Apply Now button below by Friday, October 19, 2018.
Should you have any questions regarding this announcement, please do not hesitate to contact the Human Resources Office at 804-524-6600 extension 6029.
Riverside Regional Jail Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer